Mill of Kintail

mill-of-kintail src=http://www.lanarkcountymuseums.ca/images/stories/mill-of-kintail.jpg Mississippi Valley Conservation (MVC), founded in 1968, is a community-based environmental organization that works to protect the natural resources of the 4,450 sq km. Mississippi Valley watershed. MVC provides quality programs and services related to watershed resources planning, control and monitoring, environmental planning and regulations, and the management of conservation lands, the most notable of which is the Mill of Kintail.

The Mill of Kintail Conservation Area reflects its heritage: 160 acres of a natural setting and trails enjoyed by Dr. McKenzie and now by the public the site includes: a fitness trail in keeping with Dr. McKenzie's pioneer work in physical education; a play structure drawing form his innovative work in early playground design; and the heritage 1830 Baird's Mill - now the museum. Dr. R. Tait McKenzie and his wife Ethel restored the gristmill into a summer home and studio renaming it the Mill of Kintail.

The museum contains the largest collection of Dr. McKenzie's original plaster sculptures as well as Dr. McKenzies' own collection of pioneer artifacts. Dr. R. Tait McKenzie born in 1867 in the year of Canada's confederation. He is internationally known as a physician, educator and bronze sculptor who ultimately believed that physical health was, and is, the basis for overall well-being. He left a tangible legacy of teachings on physical education and rehabilitation; of commemorative art and a dedication to athletics that all celebrate the physical ideal.

The Mill of Kintail grounds are open to the public year round for group camping, hiking, skiing and snowshoeing on the 7 km of trails; the Museum is open from May to October. The woods, meadows and stream combine with the heritage buildings to serve as a basis for conservation education with school educational programs now provided to 8000 students. Other buildings of great interest to visitors include the Gatehouse, original Mill store and a stone open air chapel called the Cloister on the Hill, a popular setting for weddings.

 

NEW FEATURE EXHIBIT: 

"The Life and Times of Dr. James Naismith"  in partnership with the Dr. Naismith Basketball Foundation. 

"They were known as the Brothers of the Wind.  James Naismith and Robert Tait McKenzie.  Lifelong friends and colleagues, these two natives of Ramsey Township in Mississippi Mills grew up to influence lives internationally.  Discover their stories...."

Hours of Operation & Admission:

  • The trails are available dawn till dusk, year round.
  • The site and museum is open Victoria Day Weekend to Thanksgiving Day, seven days a week,
  • 10:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
  • Site fee $5.00 per vehicle.

Contact Information:

2854 Concession 8, R.R. #1,
Almonte, Ontario
K0A 1A0
Tel: 613-256-3610 ext. 2
Fax :613-256-5087
E-mail: This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it

Visit the Museum's Website at: www.millofkintail.ca .